There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,There is a rapture on the lonely shore,There is society, where none intrudes,By the deep sea, and music in its roar. I love not man the less, but Nature more. -Lord Byron

Friday, January 24, 2014

Jefferson Park Via South Breitenbush Trailhead

http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/Jefferson_Park

Wow. Jefferson Park is unbelievable. My friend Dale and I did this as an overnighter. The hounds stayed at home because it would be a little much for them. If you want a truly incredible backpacking experience, I could not recommend Jefferson Park highly enough.

There are several ways to reach Jefferson Park. Click the PHFG link above for the details on that. No need to go over it here. I'm not sure why we picked this particular trailhead, as it is considered to be the least scenic and most difficult approach. The hike was fairly difficult, but was quite lovely in my opinion. I'll will hopefully be making this an annual destination, so I'll try other approaches in the future, so that I can compare and find my favorite.

The bottom portion of the trail goes through some thick forest, but quickly changes to sub-alpine meadows about halfway through. Using this approach, you get glimpses of Jefferson over the ridge every now an then. The meadows must be great when the wildflowers are in bloom. They were absolutely covered in ripe blueberries when I visited on an unseasonably warm mid-September day.


This shot was taken just as we descended down into Jefferson Park itself. Pictures don't do this place justice (especially Iphone photos). It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been, and I was already planning my next trip before I even set up my tent!


Here you'll find the Poler one-man tent in the wild, where it belongs.



There are five lakes in Jefferson Park. We stayed on the open shore of Scout Lake. It was a super clear night and we were able to view several shooting stars. The next morning after breakfast we went for a swim in Bay's Lake. This is the most scenic lake, in my opinion. It's deep, clear, and super refreshing on a hot day.  




This is a must-do Oregon hike.


No comments:

Post a Comment